The Discovery Surfers Challenge has confronted one of its own biggest challenges – that of littering along the route.
The organising committee has shown leadership and awareness by joining forces with the #RunClean Campaign.
The following points have been identified as being crucial to the success and most importantly awareness of the campaign:
* #RunClean branding will be highly visible at point of registration, on the registration forms and along the Surfers route for maximum awareness to runners and spectators alike.
* Water Points have been reduced from six down to just four. The eliminated water points are one that led directly onto the beach in a secluded environment and another on a beach itself.
* The final beach water point at Bonza Bay will have a “Drop Zone” tunnel with bins stretching 15 meters on either side. These will be branded as #RunClean zones.
* Nets will be used at both the Gonubie and Nahoon river crossings in order to catch any loose plastic water sachets
* Local schools in East London will be involved in a clean-up operation, forming part of their CSI portfolio. They will both assist in cleaning up around all water points and in sweeping beaches and roads.
This is the first year of the campaign.